gifts to hone skills.

December 6, 2017

gifts to hone skills | reading my tea leaves

One perfect cast iron skillet + a shortstack of cookbooks for improving someone’s dinner game.

A pom-pom hat to finish before spring.

maple hand loom + some roving for passing a long quiet winter.

A mason bee house for awakening an inner beekeeper.

A set of glasses and a reference book for nudging someone toward connoisseur status.

A mushroom log + book for a burgeoning mycologist.

A digital guide + an aluminum stock pot for natural dye experiments.

Sourdough starter + lessons in print (or in person) for… getting started.

A subscription to Making Magazine to encourage all kinds of crafting.

An olive oil membership + inspiration for superior salads.

• Reply Kimmcg December 6, 2017 at 12:31 pm

What an original idea for a gift guide! Thanks Erin

• Reply MR December 6, 2017 at 12:40 pm

This is so inspiring! We were not going to do Christmas this year, but if we do, this is exactly the spirit we would go for!

• Reply nicole hoffmann December 6, 2017 at 12:56 pm

oops- aluminum pots are not ideal for dyeing as they are reactive! Enameled, stainless steel or copper are better options. Beautiful gift guide-

• Reply ERIN BOYLE December 6, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Rebecca Desnos who wrote the natural dye book listed here actually recommends aluminum pots for natural dyeing because they help set the color!

• Reply sasha December 6, 2017 at 1:01 pm

This is wonderful Erin! Love the creativity and usefulness factor here.

• Reply Kit December 6, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I love this!

• Reply Ruchita December 6, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Olive oil member this is the best one! absolutely wonderful list!

• Reply Nicole December 6, 2017 at 3:57 pm

These ideas are fabtastic! Ive been stumped
    on what to get my MIL and I love the knitting kit and Magazine subscription idea.

• Reply sasha December 6, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Maybe a children’s skill, loving nature: the book The Night Tree by Eve Bunting + cocoa mix + popcorn, and if you are wanting to be extra wonderful, a home made quilt. This is what I’m giving the families I nanny for this year.
    It’s my very favourite holiday book ever, and i love sharing it.

• Reply Kelly December 6, 2017 at 10:17 pm

What a sweet gift! They are so lucky to have found you!!

• Reply sasha December 7, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Aww, thank you, that’s really kind. I love my job ♡

• Reply Emilie N. December 6, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I just recently purchased ‘Artisan Sourdough Made Simple” by Emilie Raffa. Could also go along with King Arthur Flour sourdough starter. Thank you for the great suggestions.

• Reply Jennie December 6, 2017 at 8:14 pm

LOVE this guide!!!! So original and inspiring.

• Reply Kelly December 6, 2017 at 10:16 pm

oooh. i love love love these ideas!!

• Reply Amy December 7, 2017 at 6:43 am

I love the idea of gifts that build skills, especially slow skills. I have the glasses above and love them. After all of our moves and many dishes later, they’re my favorite.

• Reply Laura December 7, 2017 at 9:24 am

Such a great list! Thank you! I might have to get the mushroom log for my husband.

• Reply Samantha January 4, 2018 at 6:00 pm

So fun when my friend’s company gets a mention on my favorite blog! Field Company skillets are pretty awesome- light, smooth, well seasoned. Thanks for liking them enough to put them on your blog.

• Reply Yna Calamiong January 6, 2018 at 11:27 am

Beautiful list! I now have a birthday gift reference to refer to this year. Thank you!