January 18, 2013

1. this old tea strainer.
tea strainer {because it feels like forever since we’ve had black tea in the house and this week, i needed those mid-morning (and afternoon) pick-me-ups}.

2. this measuring tape.
measuring tape {because even though i abandoned it halfway through the project, it was still nice to have. no one’s ever accused me of having too much patience}.

3. this fuzzy foot.
rabbit foot fern {because its on our sweet new fern. it kind of disturbs me, but let’s focus on the good stuff}.

4. this scuffed binder.
binder {because sometimes you still need paper records to be sure of things, and it’s keeping mine in order}.

5. this sweatshirt.
sweatshirt {because it was a gray, sweatshirt kind of week. wasn’t it? next week needs 100% more color}.

flying houses.
elizabeth’s tranquil space.
on homesteading.
bathroom fancies.
i’d love to make sourdough. {hoping the above note on patience won’t stop me}.
i admit: the idea of a hometown idol is kind of fun. go, erin!

• Reply kate January 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

This week here in NJ was non stop CLOUDY and that always equals tea and hoodies to me! I love how you admit parts of your fern disturb you! Hope you have a great weekend! It's sunny here now, hope some sun comes out where you are too!
    thisiskatefunk

• Reply Erin January 18, 2013 at 3:52 pm

yes, kate! sunshine here today, too!

• Reply jacquelyn | lark&linen January 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Per usual, I love this post.

Also, I swear I'm NOT trying to pimp myself out – but if you want to try the easiest EASIEST bread in the entire world, check out this recipe: http://www.jacquelynclark.com/2012/01/26/tasty-treats-no-knead-rustic-bread/

It is so so good – and takes 5 minutes of prep work – max.

• Reply Erin January 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Mmm! I need to get my hands on a dutch oven!

• Reply Julia January 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

i read that article on homesteading after you posted it on twitter- so fascinating and awesome to read such an honest account (and thanks for the intro wayward spark! i can definitely see that becoming a regular read for me). happy weekending!

• Reply Erin January 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

So glad you did! Lots of good things to read thataway!

• Reply Ashley M. [at] (never)homemaker January 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

It's an honor to be mentioned on your beautiful site. Trust me, patience isn't one of my qualities, so you can totally do it. 🙂 Also: Here's to a more colorful week . . . however, I do tend to gravitate toward a calming grey. xo

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:23 am

Ha! Good to know it!

• Reply Libellula Jewelry January 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I'd be grateful if you would share the brand of that hooded sweatshirt. It's hard to find nice ones that are made in this country. Thanks 🙂

• Reply Erin January 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

It's an American Apparel sweatshirt. I have kind of mixed feelings about the company and their advertising, but they do make their products in the US!

• Reply Lisa-Marie January 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I don't know, I quite like this world of mellow neutrals. Try doing the sourdough. You have to wait a week for your starter to be ready, but it's so worth it – if you do it, my best tip is to sit your jar of starter by your router. It gives of just the right amount of warmth.

I can't function without proper tea. It makes my world go round!

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:24 am

Me too! I was feeling fuzzy without it!

• Reply Faith January 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog! It's beautiful, and I look forward to reading more. 🙂

• Reply dervla @ The Curator January 19, 2013 at 4:33 am

I totally get that kind of grey sweatshirt week. It's been like that in this household too as we are slowly emerging from a week of flu…comfort is a must. Have a great weekend!

• Reply A menos cuarto salimos January 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hello! I just found your blog today and I've been reading it all morning! Love the pictures, your words…just amazing 🙂
    My favourite part is the series about survival in a tiny apartment. My apartment in London is tiny as well so all tips are really useful.
    I´ll add you to my reading list
    Happy Sunday!

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:24 am

So glad you made it here! Really glad to have you along!

• Reply jun January 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

refreshing! i've always wanted to make my own bread but i don't think it'll be anytime soon until my new home is ready. and yes i love sourdough breads. it's really hard to get my hands on good ones where i live.

• Reply Milynn {Love + Whimsy} January 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I got myself a tea strainer recently and it does not live up to its name. I'm going to have to try and find a similar one to yours, it seems like it would do a better job 🙂

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:21 am

This one is really basic (and cheap) and works like a charm! Hope you find one!

• Reply Selene January 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm

love this blog…and all your pics!

• Reply Inge January 20, 2013 at 5:57 pm

It had been a long time since I drank black tea as well, but in the winter I always start craving it. Lovely post, as always!

• Reply Sarah Dee January 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I love that bathroom roundup you did! So many great things 🙂

x missdottidee.blogspot.com

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:20 am

Thanks! Big dreams!

• Reply Camille January 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for the mention (and the retweet), Erin! Hope you're having a great weekend.

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:20 am

My pleasure! Same to you, lady!

• Reply Consider the Lilies January 21, 2013 at 2:11 am

It is a rabbits foot fern and those are it's furry rhizomes. They are great plants.

• Reply Erin January 21, 2013 at 2:17 am