1. Light some candles. The hardest part about coming back to our apartment after the holidays is the lack of a fireplace, so we’ve been lighting candles, instead. Though we’re burning through tapers so fast, I think it’s time for pillars.
2. Wash the shower curtain. Do you remember that post? Just in case you missed it, here’s some encouragement to take down your shower curtain and throw the whole thing in the washing machine. None of the spraying or scrubbing or getting pruney fingers in the shower while you scour. All of the clean.
3. Change the sheets. (These are our favorites, on sale).
4. Take a brisk walk. Even when it’s so cold that your nose hairs freeze. We went to a first birthday party in a sunny apartment in Morningside Heights this weekend (just one block away from where my grandmother grew up). Afterward we took a stroll through a neighborhood, nevermind the cold.
5. Make a warming dinner. We made a riff on this tart, swapping a whole bunch of kale for the mushrooms.
8. Learn a new card game. We recently played hearts with my mom and dad. I got through the mind-wrecking first few minutes that is me learning the rules to a new game, and actually finished by enjoying the game.
9. Make a smoothie. Greens, fruits, yogurt. Not warming, exactly, but fresh and bright, definitely. My sister Cait‘s been on a kick lately. We’ve gotten reinspired.
10. Plant a bulb or two. Nothing’s sweeter than a little wintery growth.
What’s on your list?